[GTALUG] Raspberry Pi 4

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 20:17:56 EDT 2019

On 2019-09-03 3:25 p.m., Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> If you work on look, hunt and peck princible, then sure, anything will do.

Oddly, swearing at keyboards seems fairly limited to computer types. I
use to work with a lot of copy-typists, and they could work on anything
at all. They'd switch from Suns to Macs to Thinkpads to real typewriters
without complaint. Some of them were using multilingual layouts and
could use QWERTY, AZERTY and QWERTZ at blazing speeds depending on the
language of the project.

These people were the fastest and most accurate keyboarders I've ever
met — like, ‘retype a whole page with no errors faster than you could
walk to the photocopier and back’ fast — and they lived all day on
keyboards. I don't think I heard about them complain about a computer
keyboard ever. Plenty of complaints about chairs and desks, sure, but no
complaints about keyboards.

(There was a specific desk's keyboard that they'd complain about *a lot*
though, and refuse to use unless it was the only one available. It
belonged to an editor who would water their plants over the keyboard and
also eat their lunch directly over it. It's the only keyboard I've ever
seem that had algae growing between the keys, while some of the keys
would rebound very slowly accompanied by a wet sucking noise. It was
very unhygienic.)

I never learned to type, and likely will keep my 4½-finger typing
technique until I die. My current (non-Raspberry Pi) keyboard is a
CoolerMaster gaming thing with an irritating top row. They keys are marked

     ` 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - =

which is no fun if you're keyboarding by sight.

  Stewart