[GTALUG] Problem with /dev/ttyUSB* serial port

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Thu Oct 31 21:14:42 EDT 2019

On 10/31/19 6:24 PM, Kevin Cozens via talk wrote:
> On 2019-10-31 9:11 a.m., Scott Allen via talk wrote:
>> On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 at 02:25, Jim Ruxton via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>> wrote:
>>> Is there a way that I can always have it show up as /dev/ttyUSB0
>>
>> I think the proper way is to provide a udev rule to identify the
>> device and assign a fixed name to it.
>>
>> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/66901/how-to-bind-usb-device-under-a-static-name
>>

> The other option is to write your software so that it gets notified
> when a USB device is installed/removed. You will be told the actual
> device name. I needed to do this to detect insertion/removal of a
> barcode reader.

Looking at the actual code it is setting a default value of /dev/ttyUSB0.
It should not be defaulting when you try to set it in the call but it
may be interesting to set the default to /dev/null so that it will not
do something that may be reasonable part of the time.

When you say that you cannot get anything but /dev/ttyUSB0 to work it
makes me ask is there a problem that is causing the default to always be
taken.

Forcibly breaking things can be a useful tool.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||