[GTALUG] Problem with /dev/ttyUSB* serial port

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Thu Oct 31 18:24:16 EDT 2019

On 2019-10-31 9:11 a.m., Scott Allen via talk wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 at 02:25, Jim Ruxton via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>> Is there a way that I can always have it show up as /dev/ttyUSB0
>
> I think the proper way is to provide a udev rule to identify the
> device and assign a fixed name to it.
>
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/66901/how-to-bind-usb-device-under-a-static-name

The other option is to write your software so that it gets notified when a
USB device is installed/removed. You will be told the actual device name. I
needed to do this to detect insertion/removal of a barcode reader.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick