[GTALUG] (off topic) What do with old tools?

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Oct 11 11:10:35 EDT 2019

One other option, though it's done for 2019, is to drop the tools at a
"Community
Environment Days
<https://www.toronto.ca/services-payments/recycling-organics-garbage/community-environment-days/>"
event held by the city.
Each year, from April to September, these events are held on weekends and
thursday evenings -- one event in each of the 25 wards.

The primary purpose of these events is to provide a local collection point
for hazardous waste, electronics, and other things that don't normally go
to the blue or brown bins. Much easier than going to the dump.
They will also take things like clothes and tools and have appropriate
channels to reuse as much as they can.

If you can wait until the spring this may be an option and you won't have
to go very far when it comes to your area.

This program is Toronto-specific. I don't know what other municipalities do
along these lines, but you can always bring 905 stuff to these events. They
don't check residency the way they do at the dump.

On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 at 07:57, Giles Orr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 at 22:30, Karen Lewellen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Consider contacting the Toronto tool library.
>> They may have a use for them, and can certainly guide you on their
>> disposal.
>> Kare
>>
>> On Fri, 11 Oct 2019, William Park via talk wrote:
>>
>> > Definitely off topic...  I'm cleaning up my garage, and I have lots of
>> old tools (pliers, screwdrivers, drills, etc) that I want to throw away.
>> How do I dispose of metal tools?  Is there recycling for them?--William
>>

> By the time I read this you already had a couple replies, and mine is
> quite similar: I was going to recommend Toronto's Repair Cafe (
> http://repaircafetoronto.ca/ ) if the tools are still usable.  I've
> worked with them in the past and I'm a fan of what they do.  Karen's
> suggestion of the Tool Library is also a good one: they have a close
> connection with Repair Cafe.
>
> I'd consider the Salvation Army a second choice, but it's not a bad idea
> either and is better than throwing them in the trash.
>
> Heh - got any young friends or co-workers moving into their own space?
> Maybe they can use them ...
>
> --
> Giles
> https://www.gilesorr.com/