[GTALUG] getting Firefox to exploit GPU

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Oct 4 12:26:19 EDT 2019

By default, on Linux, Firefox does not use the GPU for rendering web
pages.  You can enable this by a setting in about:config
	gfx.webrender.all
Change that from false to true

I don't actually know that much about the performance impact.

Apparently Mozilla leaves this off just to minimize support problems.  It
isn't that the Firefox code is buggy.  There have been times where there
were problems with some components the Linux graphics stack.

I'm trying this with my notebook now.  Why?  I learned about this by
asking a Mozilla guy before a meeting and it was easier and quicker to
change my browser setting than it was to write a note.

I'd love to hear any experience with this setting.