[GTALUG] Economist article on open source

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Oct 4 09:53:08 EDT 2019

| From: Stewart C. Russell via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| On 2019-10-03 1:37 p.m., Evan Leibovitch via talk wrote:
| >
| > https://www.economist.com/leaders/2019/10/05/the-rise-of-open-source-computing
|
| It's paywalled,

Yeah.  You can register for free and read a very small number of
articles each month.

I did that years ago.  But because of the limitation, I almost never
go to the economist.  So it doesn't actually work well for them or for
me.

The Economist is quite expensive and quite good.  Perhaps paying for
it would be a good trade-off for me, but I don't.

It's funny how many of us are willing to pay for netflix on the
internet but not for magazines or newspapers.  That's mostly true of
me.

| so I didn't get to read the bit where it presumably says "…
| and we can get these geek rubes to write our software FOR FREE!"

I read the article and don't remember getting angry about anything in
it. I did not learn anything from it.  It wasn't very deep (how could
it be?). I don't imagine that anyone on this list would learn anything
either, but I don't remember it in detail.