[GTALUG] Economist article on open source

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Oct 3 14:56:40 EDT 2019

| From: Evan Leibovitch via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 at 13:45, James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

| > One example of that influence is Microsoft recently announcing a phone
| > that runs Android!

| That's not an embrace of Linux, just a declaration of defeat for crappy
| mobile OSs. Just ask Blackberry.

I'm not sure what you are saying here.

BB10 wasn't bad.  Windows 8 for phones wasn't bad.  The network effect
(for apps, not phone networks) is what killed them.

iOS would have creamed Android if it were FLOSS (because iOS came
first).

If you meant: sticking with a doomed OS too long, BB and Nokia would
be good examples.  Nokia even switched horses twice.  I had their
Linux tablet (their replacement for Symbios) but Elop came in and
switched them to Windows.