[GTALUG] alternatives to gmail working well in Ubintu?

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Sat Nov 16 08:30:11 EST 2019

Hi Karen,

I'm not sure if I fully understand your requirements.

But I myself went through a very long and arduous search for an email hosting service provider a few years ago, when AT&T shut down their email hosting service,

I decided to register my own domain name so that I would never ever again have to fo thorugh the huge task of notifying recipients of the change in my emaii address. And not go through the even more onerous task of upating numerous online services and forums where I am registered through my email address.

For sure you would be wise  to get away from an evil player like Google. Make competition work for you by going with a  large established provider, but not a monstrous monopoly like Google.

* * *
* * *

The task for me came down to finding a good reliable web hosting service that also offered email hosting.

Although there are many other equally great hosting services out there, I am happy I chose to use

www.siteground.com

They are not the least expensive service but well worth the money I pay every month. Rock-solid reliable infrastructure and exceptionally literate and knowledgeable support team.

The spam filtering offered by Siteground as basic functionality works well for me. Never a false rejection of a legitimate email and very few spam-suspect-quarantined emails for me to handle.

Siteground provides a choice of three (3) HTML webmail user interfaces. I use RoundCube, the open source one, because I favour open source if at all possible. I use the Comodo Dragon web browser with RoundCube webmail interface, as Dragon seems to work better that Firefox.

Although I actually fetch all my emails via POP3 and keep them on my local PC, I also use the Siteground webmail interface as a backup and to help me with issues when MS Outlook Express on WIn XP mysteriously fails to fetch the occasional email via POP3.

I acces RoundCube webmail from an ancient Dell Win XP PC, using a slow dialup landline modem. The low screen resolution is not a problem. I'm somewhat sight-impaired so I zoom in a little for better readability.

* * *
* * *

I am now working to migrate off the Win XP PC to a new PC running debian Linux.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Steve

* * *