[GTALUG] TekSavvy or Rogers blocking apt user agent

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Nov 4 21:24:16 EST 2019

| From: Jamon Camisso via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| Well this is a new low:
|
| https://askubuntu.com/questions/1185612/apt-get-stuck-on-waiting-for-headers/1185713
|
| Mind-boggling that it is/was even an issue at an ISP & HTTP level.
|
| Either they have a giant whitelist of browser agents to maintain, or a
| blacklist to update and added apt to it.
|
| In either case, they're looking at HTTP traffic and acting on it directly.
|
| Still an issue for anyone?

Is this happening to you?  I will assume so.

- my main internet connection is directly through Rogers.

- I use Ubuntu infrequently.

- when I do update it, I have had no issue.  Most recently: a couple
  of days ago.

The ip address in the wireshark log is 91.189.91.23 (AKA
economy.canonical.com).  When I point (Fedora) firefox at it, it claims
that it cannot connect to a web server there.  Of course that's with
Firefox's User Agent String.  ping does get responses.

Could it be that you are somehow trying to use a mirror that has been
decommissioned?

I think that this problem is likely unintended and would be fixed if

1) the problem would be with your ISP
2) it were reported and
3) teksavvy could reproduce it.