[GTALUG] war story: fixing an LCD TV

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri May 31 13:45:39 EDT 2019

Hi all.

I'd like to take the opportunity of this thread to ask about the
suitability of using a TV as a computer monitor.
Right now I have a dual screen setup with one 24" and one 22". The colour
doesn't quite match between the two of them and some thick bezels prevent
useful work with a window that spans both monitors.

Now, it's possible to replace them with a single 32" widescreen monitor
<https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01BMES072/> for about $550. For $477 I could get
what looks to be a top-tier 43" Samsung 4K.

I am wondering if the lower price is because of greater volumes and
consumer orientation rather than any inherent quality of the screen. As
Fathers Day approaches I expect some deals a-coming here.

How viable Is it to use a TV as monitor, ignore the "smart" crap and just
plug in the HDMI? Are there features or specs needed for a TV to make it
usable for close viewing?

Thanks!

- Evan