[GTALUG] war story: fixing an LCD TV

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Thu May 30 14:19:54 EDT 2019

On 2019-05-30 02:09 PM, Clifford Ilkay via talk wrote:
> For the benefit of others, I would highly recommend Rosebud
> Technologies in Markham if you do not have the time, ability, or
> inclination to repair your broken electronics
> yourself. http://www.rosebudtech.ca/

FWIW, I recently took a 42" Sharp TV to the recycling centre.  I bought
a new 43" Sharp for $349.  That's getting close to what a repair is
likely to cost.  Much of my career has been in repair, though not TVs.
I've often realized it's better to toss & replace, than attempt to
repair and I have experience in replacing large (over 100 lead) surface
mount chips.

Incidentally, my new TV uses about 1/5th the power of the old one, so
there's that to consider too.