[GTALUG] [OT] mySQL help

nick xerofoify at gmail.com
Tue May 28 21:37:22 EDT 2019

On 2019-05-28 7:50 p.m., Stephen via talk wrote:
> I am not on any lists for mysql. So I thought that I would ask her,
>
> Suggestions for a help list for mysql are most welcome.
>
> I have a LAMP for web site development and rarely need to touch the database admin stuff.
>
> It has been years. I am creating a new site with database but I can't get the user to have privileges.
>
> Can anyone spot what is wrong?
>
> So I connect to the server with:
> stephen at Avalon:~$ mysql -u root -p
> Enter password:
> Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
> Your MySQL connection id is 11
> Server version: 5.7.26-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 (Ubuntu)
>
> Copyright (c) 2000, 2019, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
>
> Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its
> affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective
> owners.
>
> Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.
>
> mysql>
> I create grants
> mysql> grant all on rois3324_stephen.*  to "rois3324_stephen"@"localhost" with grant option;
> Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
> I try to see grants
> mysql> "rois3324_stephen"@"localhost"
> ->
>
> It looks like no grants were created. And I get a confirming error from PHP.
>
> Can anyone see what is wrong?
>
> Thank you!

It's a little while too but seems that the grants are fine and you need to do SHOW GRANTS
for that user.

Here are the oracle docs:
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17952_01/mysql-5.0-en/show-grants.html

Not sure if that would be the fix but seems so as the grant query is fine it's just not
showing up when you try to show them.

Hopefully it works now,

Nick