[GTALUG] the meaning of Core i[3579] (was: NUC NUC NUC)

D. Joe gtalug at etrumeus.com
Mon May 27 14:18:06 EDT 2019

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 02:07:35PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 12:24:33PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> > TL;DR: Intel uses brands.  We care about technology.  Sometimes brands
[...]

> Seems like the i9 are essentially Xeon server chips tweaked for high
> end desktop use.

The "Intel uses brands" analysis, which is spot-on, applies most directly to the Xeon name, which has been used on a wide range of microarchitectures.

If you tell me you have a Xeon, all I know is that it was probably marketed for servers or high-end workstations sometime in the last few decades.

It was the worst manifestation of this phenomenon until the Pentium name was revived for the low-end as described upthread, and was thus at the top of my peeve list when someone mentioned in breathless tones only this as the qualifier as to what kind of process was in play.

--
Joe   On ceding power to tech companies: http://xkcd.com/1118/
man screen | grep -A2 weird