[GTALUG] NUC NUC NUC

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue May 21 17:20:26 EDT 2019

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 10:13:22PM +0200, Dhaval Giani wrote:
> This led me on chase, because Intel friends suggested what I said. I
> haven't looked too closely yet to see the difference between i3/i5/i7,
> but both i3/i5 do NOT have HT as per ark.intel. If i were to make a
> guess about the difference between i3/i5, I would go towards the turbo
> boost capability. But it is late where I am, and I am speaking early
> tomorrow morning :-), so I will look into it tomorrow, and probably
> ask a couple of Intel folks here.

There are only a few i3 models that have 4 actual cores.  Almost all are
2 core with hyperthreading.  The i5 on the other hand was almost always
4 cores (now 6 cores on the latest generation) without hyperthreading.
There were a few low end models that were exceptions and were configured
like the i3 with 2 cores and hyperthreading.  So for the i3 hyperthreading
was the norm and for the i5 hyperthreading was the exception.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i3_microprocessors
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i5_microprocessors

At the high end the i7 always had hyperthreading until the latest
generation where some no longer do (the i9 does though).  Apparently 8th
gen i7 with 6 cores and hyperthreading is replaced by 9th gen i7 with 8
cores and no hyperthreading.

--
Len Sorensen