[GTALUG] NUC NUC NUC

Dhaval Giani dhaval.giani at gmail.com
Mon May 20 19:05:34 EDT 2019

> Evan: From a security point of view (Rowhammer, Fallout, RIDL, ZombieLoad ...) I would encourage you to consider an AMD processor.  (Or better yet, ARM - but that's not really viable on the desktop yet.)  AMD isn't totally immune to the plethora of recent attacks, but it's a lot better off.  (I say this, but I'm writing you from an 8th gen i7 bought in the middle of that series of appalling revelations.)

Honestly, the latest round of flaws are nothing special. For most
desktop use case, I wouldn't worry. It is very difficult to exploit
it. If you are really worried, go for something like an i3, which is
essentially an i5 with HT disabled. I would be worried about several
easier to exploit issues before worrying about MDS or L1TF. (Meltdown
was different, but newer CPUs already have it fixed in hardware).
Something like Spectre affects every single modern CPU which does
speculative execution and we will be fighting it for a long long time.

(Of course, if you are in a cloud environment, the situation is different).

Dhaval