[GTALUG] NUC NUC NUC

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri May 17 12:59:43 EDT 2019

On Fri, 17 May 2019 at 11:59, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> | I'm looking to upgrade my PC that's served me well for about 8 years, but
> | it's starting to be unreliable and I can't upgrade the RAM beyond 4GB.
>
> Unreliable: probably not worth the effort to diagnose.
>
> Can't upgrade beyond 4G: Really?  My 8-year-old desktop computers can
> do a lot better than that.  What model is it?

It's an old AMD-based ASUS mobo that's supposed to take more. I bought
upgrade RAM according to the docs, it was seen in the BIOS diagnostic but
the OS refuses to see it. I'm tired of throwing good hours after old ones
after reading and following every possible remedy. Enough.

> I like these little computers.  There's not a lot of reason to add
> PCIe cards or optical drives to a computer these days.  The one
> remaining need is for graphics cards.

There is an HDMI port to the Intel one as well as a Thunderbolt port to
handle Displayport video. I'll need to read up and figure what equipment
I'll need to split out 5.1 audio (with is currently done using an optical
cable).

Wasn't Thunderbird an Apple thing?

- often only room for one "disk", 2.5" SATA, but sometimes also m.2
>   (SATA or NVMe).  I like having both: a fast SSD and a larger
>   capacity spinning disk.

I already have a 2.5 SSD ready to be used.

The new Intel NUCs have a capacity for something called "Optane", which
looks like fast NVRAM (16 or 32 GB) used as extended cache. I have a choice
of installing one of those, or using the M.2 slot for a conventional SSD to
hold the OS.

There are or were other brands of NUC-like computers.  Gigabyte's BRIX, MSI
> Cubi, and who knows what else.

I've looked at/for many of these brands as well as the category-creator,
Shuttle. The Intel and Zotac still look best.
Thanks for your help!

- Evan