[GTALUG] Sidebar to: Help with choosing a WiFi router

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 13:39:07 EDT 2019

On Sun, Mar 31, 2019 at 7:20 AM David Collier-Brown via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 2019-03-30 11:10 p.m., D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
>
> > The TP-link C7 was a good candidate a few years ago.  OpenWRT support,
> > cheap, AC1750.  They did decide to lock out firmware replacement due
> > to their (quite rational) interpretation of a new FCC interpretation
> > of regulations.  I hope that that has blown over.
>
> Dave Taht, Vint Cerf and a cast of thousands pointed out that made it
> harder for the FCC instead of easier, and they quietly changed their
> guidance. (I was Dave's editor on that one: see
> http://huchra.bufferbloat.net/~d/fcc_saner_software_practices.pdf)
>
> Some vendors have continued to block updates, citing the original
> guidance, but that's just their justification for an attempt to force
> hardware replacement rather than software update.

Greetings

Attempting a read of the listed url results in:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access
/~d/fcc_saner_software_practices.pdf on this server.
Server unable to read htaccess file, denying access to be safe

Do you have another way to access said item?

Regards

Dee