[GTALUG] Help with choosing a WiFi router

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Sun Mar 31 08:55:49 EDT 2019

On 03/30/2019 11:10 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> | From: David Mason via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | We’ve had a DLINK DIR-628 for quite a while.
>
> There's a new standard since then: 802.11ac.  Confusing, because there
> already were 802.11a and 802.11c.

That's why 802.11ax is called WiFi 6.  They've assigned other numbers,
such as 5 to 802.11ac.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ax

However, it's getting to the point where the improvements don't benefit
individual users much.  For example, MIMO improves performance for
multiple users more than individuals.  The main benefit for individuals
would be somewhat greater distance, due to beam forming or focusing the
signal in one direction.

> There's been a race to be able to claim speed in wireless routers.
> They use multiple antennae to allow multiple devices to be supported
> at one time (beamforming?).
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac>
>
> These advantages depend on the clients supporting 802.11ac.

802.11ac is becoming common these days.  My Pixel 2 phone, which I
bought over a year ago supports it.
802,11ax supports MIMO in both directions, whereas 802.11ac only on
transmit.

> Enthusiast routers have gotten more expensive and look more like
> aggressive alien space ships.  Just look at this one:
>
> <https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADGE5R87033>

They are also capable of much more.  Some support mesh, where multiple
APs can work together to provide seamless coverage over a large area.

> I like the idea of OpenWRT but don't actually use it.  Even though
> I have two wireless routers, I only use them as APs -- the routing
> functions are not used.  So my advice about consumer wireless routers
> is pretty theoretical.  For gateways (including the routing function),
> I use little PCs running CentOS or Fedora.

I prefer separate APs and routers.  Many APs support power over Ethernet
(PoE), so you don't have to worry about having power near where the AP
works best.  Mine's at the top of the wall in my laundry room, which
puts it roughly in the middle of my condo.

O'Reilly has some good WiFi books, by Michael Gast.  Recommended reading
if you really want to learn about WiFi.