[GTALUG] Help with choosing a WiFi router

David Mason dmason at ryerson.ca
Sat Mar 30 18:11:49 EDT 2019

We’ve had a DLINK DIR-628 for quite a while. When it works it has been great, but it drops out several times a day. Sometimes it come back fairly seamlessly, but sometimes you have to turn off the wifi on connected devices and turn it back on again. Power-cycling it always resolves the problem, but it’s annoying.

So I guess I’m in the market for a new WiFi router. A little bit of additional range would be great, and if there’s more speed available, so much the better, but as I said, when it’s working, it’s been great. It’s not uncommon for 3 video streams being viewed while I’m ssh’ed into remote systems, or downloading files, or cloning repositories, and it all works fine.

Price isn’t a major concern… I’d happily pay for reliability and performance. To the degree it matters, we’re mostly connected from Apple devices (except for the gateway and RAID servers - both of which are Debian - which are wired together).

Thanks for any advice!

../Dave