[GTALUG] VM Virtualbox Linux

Clifford Ilkay cilkay at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 13:38:23 EDT 2019

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 12:20 PM R360 Design INC via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a VM virtualbox set up running CentOS Linux. The host OS is Windows
> 10. I then attempted to set up two-way network communication between the
> CentOS Guest and my Windows host. Has anyone attempted this and succeeded?
> I thought it would be straightforward but setting up the NAT adapter, and
> installing "VM Guest Addition" got me lost.

Hi Jonathan,

I second Jon's recommendation of setting the network adapter to bridged
mode and I'd like to offer you two alternatives to VirtualBox.

The first alternative is Windows Subsystem for Linux <
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/faq>. This is more gentle on
system resources than running any VM.

The second alternative is if you have Windows 10 Professional or higher,
you are licensed for Hyper-V. That would be a higher performance option
than VirtualBox.

Both are better integrated with Windows than VirtualBox.

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay

+1 647-778-8696