[GTALUG] reverse engineering

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Thu Mar 14 17:28:34 EDT 2019

On 2019-03-14 3:40 p.m., Kevin Cozens via talk wrote:
> I've tried several decompilers but they didn't work, or wouldn't even
> compile. I looked at boomerang, Hopper, snowman, retdec, and reko. The
> ones that work wouldn't handle the architecture. The ghidra decompiler
> has been the only one that has proven useful. I haven't read enough
> about it to know how to save source code out of it but I can browse
> decompiled output which is at least the first step in reconstituting
> source code.

In a previous life, I wrote a z80 decompiler that used printf to format
the output.  After a little whille futzing with assembler syntax, I
changed it to produce output like

    1132	*hl ?= '\n'

    1133	if !== goto 1135

    1134	hl++

    1135	return

which made it easy for me to create c programs that did the same thing,
modulo bugs.

    if (*hl == '\n') {

         hl++
    }