[GTALUG] GTALUG

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 13:15:57 EDT 2019

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019, 12:40 PM Karen Lewellen via talk, <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

>   Can someone explain the rules about private contacts  without permission?
> It seems those on moderation are simply trying to force their case
> privately.

Generally when a list is moderated, the organization providing the
messaging service sets rules regarding the form and content of posts. For
instance a list devoted to troubleshooting graphical issues might require
that certain information regarding hardware be provided with the question.

An UN-moderated list is more freeform and if an individual posters content
offends someone, others are free to ignore it or block the sender so they
don't see any of those messages.

As far as being contacted offlist by a moderator, that is a courtesy the
list maintainer may or may not provide. When you provided the server your
email address, you joined the list and on this list it is the moderator, or
agent who forwards the list messages to you.

A lot of places expect you to read and follow the rules and just boot you
off if you fail to follow them.

This list has active moderation and that includes offlist warnings for
infractions of the rules. Warned persons posts are delayed and usually held
for review for a period of time to ensure compliance.

This is a technology list and at a bare minimum the topics are to be
focused on the use and implementation of the linux kernel and by extension
GNU software running on linux.

The right to repair is a very political issue and while those issues do
touch on Linux, they are not core to the mandate of topical Linux, so to
speak. That thread degenerated into divisive economic grounds which don't
provide any particular solidarity under the GTAlug banner and people are
being warned to stay on topic.

HTH
Russell