[GTALUG] Boeing India software engineers

Dhaval Giani dhaval.giani at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 11:55:33 EDT 2019

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 4:49 PM James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 03/13/2019 11:22 AM, Dhaval Giani wrote:
> > What is this "good stuff" that is moving offshore? From what I can
> > see, stuff that is higher up the value chain is still in North
> > America, and is still going to remain here. And for a very simple
> > economic reason. It costs the same $ value.
>
> Well, I mentioned 3, IT, lab tests and law.  There are others.
>
> For many years, we were promised get an education and you'll always have
> a job.  It appears that no longer holds true as many areas, such as
> those I mentioned, are moving offshore.  What is someone starting out
> today supposed to do?  What will be the next area moved offshore?  Even
> some trades, such as aircraft maintenance are going.  We're heading into
> a situation where more and more people will be unable to support
> themselves.  Take a look at the news to find out about things like wage
> & wealth inequality, people unable to afford a decent place to live or
> even put food on the table.  And then look at where the money is going.
> Look at the super wealthy.  I mentioned Walmart.  In the U.S. they pay
> many of their employees so poorly that they need social assistance just
> to live.  One figure I recall was that each Walmart employee in
> Wisconsin costs the taxpayers some $4K per year.  Let's not forget that
> this is one of the wealthiest families in the U.S. being subsidized by
> the taxpayers.  One example of many.
>
> When people talk of cutting costs, they all too often forget about the
> cost of cutting costs.  Guess who it is that all too often is forced to
> pay for these "savings".

Well sure, and the US is a more complex case than just cost cutting.
Offshoring is just one part of it. The other problem is how the
immigration system works. In the name of protecting US jobs, you tie
work permits to just one company, and artificially lower salaries.
With free movement of labour, you are forced to pay market salaries.
Why should a company pay for an expensive visa, if the person will
just move to the next high paying job, when they can hire locally?

Another problem is that people are not willing to pay the actual cost
of the goods. If you are to pay the actual cost of labour, the prices
are quite a bit higher. An example is a restaurant meal. That labour
cost is subsidized by tipping. Either we be ready to pay the actual
cost, or we will continue seeing these shenanigans.

(Still does not excuse the insane profit margins, but the reality is
that as soon as these companies become more humane, the shareholders
will drop these companies and the value will drop and our pensions
will also drop)

Dhaval