[GTALUG] Ontario Bill 72: "Right to Repair"

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Fri Mar 8 12:49:59 EST 2019

On 2019-03-08 12:36 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> My current main notebook is just over 5 years old and still great.  I
> haven't had to repair it -- thank goodness, since it is an
> Ultrabook(TM).  This is partly because, knowing that upgrades would be
> very hard, I pushed all the specs when I bought it.

My notebook is a Lenovo ThinkPad E520, which I bought 7.5 years ago.
It's still going strong, though I put in a larger hard drive.  I've had
a thing for ThinkPads ever since I worked at IBM in the late 90s and
most of my work was on them.

> My current main desktop is just a little older.  It's still Just Fine.
>
> I used to replace my desktop much more quickly.  Or at least want to.

I bought my desktop computer about 13 years ago, but have upgraded the
mom board a couple of times and also disk drives.