[GTALUG] Ontario Bill 72: "Right to Repair"

Howard Gibson hgibson at eol.ca
Thu Mar 7 23:14:00 EST 2019

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 08:50:35 -0500
"Stewart C. Russell via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Right to Repair is important. I'm slightly disappointed by the general
> reaction on this list. We'll spent lifetimes fiddling with software
> configs to keep it running against all odds, but hardware gets short
> shrift. I know that processing power and storage improvements have made
> it poor business practice to get sentimental about keeping older
> computers running, but some curiosity over how repair and replace is a
> good thing. We can't live on a growing mountain of e-waste, after all.
>
>  Stewart

Stewart,

   I agree, but consider John Deere's business model.  They make their money repairing tractors.  If you want something easily repaired, it is going to cost more, for a bunch of reasons.  Don't buy the cheapest thing on the shelves.

   If you need a computer and you don't need it to be portable, you should get a desktop.  People have no idea of how easy it is to repair modern desktops.  If you can do your own installs and repairs, there is no need for your hard drives ever to leave your house.  This makes for good security.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson at eol.ca
jhowardgibson at gmail.com