[GTALUG] Android / fastboot / ROM problem

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 09:28:38 EDT 2019

On Sun, Jun 23, 2019, 8:35 PM Evan Leibovitch via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I'm trying to determine if my Nexus 7 tablet (original 2012 version) is
> toast or can be fixed by software.
>
> Since its OS stopped being upgraded in 2015, I'd installed LineageOS on it
> some time ago. A few months ago when I went to upgrade, the install from
> TWRP didn't take and it just bootlooped on the Lineage animation about 15
> seconds in.

Was it the latest version of TWRP?

> After trying a bunch of things I decided to just erase the whole thing and
> take it to factory settings. So, using these instructions
> <https://developers.google.com/android/images#nakasi>, I downloaded the
> factory ROM and tried to install.
>
> Here's what happened when executing the supplied install script:
>

> fastboot oem unlock
> (bootloader) Bootloader is already unlocked
> OKAY [  0.015s]
> finished. total time: 0.015s
> fastboot erase boot
> erasing 'boot'...
> OKAY [  0.015s]
> finished. total time: 0.015s
> fastboot erase cache
> ******** Did you mean to fastboot format this ext4 partition?
> erasing 'cache'...
> OKAY [  0.015s]
> finished. total time: 0.015s
> fastboot erase recovery
> erasing 'recovery'...
> OKAY [  0.015s]
> finished. total time: 0.015s
> fastboot erase system
> ******** Did you mean to fastboot format this ext4 partition?
> erasing 'system'...
> OKAY [  0.015s]
> finished. total time: 0.015s
> fastboot erase userdata
> ******** Did you mean to fastboot format this ext4 partition?
> erasing 'userdata'...
> OKAY [  0.026s]
> finished. total time: 0.026

fastboot -w update image-nakasi-ktu84p.zip
> target didn't report max-download-size
> sending 'bootloader' (2100 KB)...
> OKAY [  0.262s]
> writing 'bootloader'...
> OKAY [  0.601s]
> finished. total time: 0.863s
> rebooting into bootloader...
> OKAY [  0.015s]
> finished. total time: 0.065s
> extracting android-info.txt (0 MB)...
> extracting boot.img  (4 MB)...
> target didn't report max-download-size

The archive doesn't sign correctly.

archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
> archive does not contain 'dtbo.img'

The link below mentions a problem with dtbo.img.

archive does not contain 'dt.img'
> extracting recovery.img (5 MB)...
> archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
> extracting system.img (628 MB)...
> archive does not contain 'system.sig'
> archive does not contain 'vbmeta.img'
> archive does not contain 'vendor.img'
> wiping userdata...
> Couldn't parse erase-block-size '0x'.
> Couldn't parse logical-block-size '0x'.

mke2fs 1.44.6 (5-Mar-2019)
> /tmp/TemporaryFile-fnXNLB:

Looks like the install script was out of date and wasn't linking things
correctly.
.

> Unimplemented ext2 library function while setting up superblock
> /usr/lib/android-sdk/platform-tools/mke2fs failed with status 1
> mke2fs failed: 1
> error: Cannot generate image for userdata

At this point, if it's not bricked, it looks a bit more like software to
me. A little research found similar problems.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel/help/mke2fs-error-flash-factory-images-pixel-t3734828

Sideloading using adb is what I used to put a PixelExperience rom on my
Nexus 6. I went through Carbon and Lineage first.

This discussion says there is a problem with fastboot mke2fs sllocating the
superblock in Debian.

> Does this mean I have a hardware problem? I suspect if it is, the fix will
> be well more than the tablet is worth. Well, at least I know it's
> *probably* been wiped of any useful data,
>
> And yes, I've tried multiple ports, cables images and even systems.
>
> Thanks!

I wouldn't toss it yet.

HTH