[GTALUG] A find alternative: fselect

Dhaval Giani dhaval.giani at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 01:03:31 EDT 2019

> HOWEVER, since Rust code is intrinsically much, much safer than C code, stability of API is much more legitimate a characterizer of the version that you want than bug-fixes (and bug-fixes are almost never security/safety related).

Please please please. Bug fixes, specifically the ones that get
shipped fairly quickly, are almost always security related. Security
bugs are just a class of bugs.

Also, till I see some way of formally verifying, that rust code is
safe enough that security issues are not possible, remind me to be
quite sceptical of the claim that Rust code is secure. In the last two
years, we have seen classes of bugs believed to be impossible.

I will accept your claim that in the hands of an average programmer,
Rust is probably safer, but we have enough experience with C/Assembly,
that I am gonig to claim that with someone experienced, they can
create as secure/safe programs in C, as experienced folks in Rust.