[GTALUG] Calling all networking and SVN gurus

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso at utoronto.ca
Sat Jun 8 17:08:54 EDT 2019

On 6/8/19 4:50 PM, James Knott via talk wrote:

> Bottom line, fragments are unlikely to be an issue as all modern OSs use
> PMTUD on TCP and Linux uses it on everything.

True enough, but it is also easy to check and determine whether it is an
issue. I get a ticket or two a month with remote employees who are
connecting from strange places, or have issues with VPNs, and quite a
few are MTU related.

I'm curious about PMTUD now: my understanding is that ICMP needs to be
unrestricted between server & client. If something is blocking that
traffic how does it work? Also how does PTMUD handle asymmetric paths?

Cheers, Jamon