[GTALUG] POP3 vs IMAP

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Sat Jun 8 16:02:09 EDT 2019

On 6/8/19 12:05 PM, o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
> Greetings
>
> Working on setting up Claws - - an email handling tool and I need to
> choose whether I use
> POP3 or IMAP.
> What I've been able to find so far doesn't really give any kind of
> clear direction.
> I have lots of storage here and am planning on starting with my least
> used addresses just to make sure things are working well before I do a
> complete switch.

As a general rule only use IMAP.

If you intend to leave your mail on the mail server then IMAP is just
about manditory.

IMAP also has a number of features not provided by POP.

1) server based mail search

2) multi client synchronization

3) multiple hierarchical folders

4) random access to messages without having to re-read the inbox.

5) IMAP servers usually support like Sieve for mail filtering.

6) write messages to a "sent" folder

About 5 years ago I stopped supporting POP at all and my email clients
must use IMAPS.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||