[GTALUG] war story: fixing an LCD TV

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 11:55:31 EDT 2019

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 at 10:19, Lennart Sorensen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 11:29:08AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk
> wrote:
> > Something manufactured in China with a "Motorola" brand (owned by
> > Lenovo, an RoC company) may seem like a safer bet than one with a
> > "Umidigi" or "Doogee" brand.  Remember when Motorola was a US company?
> > When they had their own important microprocessors (6800, 68000, etc.)?
>
> I wonder how many pieces Motorola split into.  Microprocessors was split
> off and I think was renamed freescale, then NXP took over.  Qualcomm tried
> to get NXP but was not allowed.  Their cell phones went to Google and
> then Lenovo.  Their enterprise stuff (wifi and logistics management
> devices) went to Zebra, and then they sold the wifi part to Extreme
> Networks.  Plenty of other bits went in who knows what direction.

I own a few shares (and loved getting annual reports back in the Iridium
project days where the company had a major Space Division), so got some
notices of things.  I had a few shares of Freescale at one point...

Having share holdings didn't lead to getting all that much knowledge about
the "spinning" :-(  Your list is more complete than what I was aware of.