[GTALUG] war story: fixing an LCD TV

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jun 7 10:28:31 EDT 2019

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 01:45:39PM -0400, Evan Leibovitch via talk wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'd like to take the opportunity of this thread to ask about the
> suitability of using a TV as a computer monitor.
> Right now I have a dual screen setup with one 24" and one 22". The colour
> doesn't quite match between the two of them and some thick bezels prevent
> useful work with a window that spans both monitors.
>
> Now, it's possible to replace them with a single 32" widescreen monitor
> <https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01BMES072/> for about $550. For $477 I could get
> what looks to be a top-tier 43" Samsung 4K.
>
> I am wondering if the lower price is because of greater volumes and
> consumer orientation rather than any inherent quality of the screen. As
> Fathers Day approaches I expect some deals a-coming here.
>
> How viable Is it to use a TV as monitor, ignore the "smart" crap and just
> plug in the HDMI? Are there features or specs needed for a TV to make it
> usable for close viewing?

The terrible viewing angles of VA LCD panels can be a problem when sitting
close since you will potentially be at a very bad angle for the sides of
the screen.  At TV viewing distance that is less of a problem (although
some people, like me, don't use LCD TVs partially for this reason).
So I would think that rules out Samsung for computer use.

A few TVs (mostly some models from LG) use IPS panels which have much
better viewing angles, but less brightness and color volume.

OLED solves the viewing angle problem entirely, but currently minimum
size is 55", and the price is quite a bit higher, and computer use is
generally not recommended due to the potential of causing screen burn in.

So, it's all a matter of what you think is most important.  Certainly I
have found the IPS based computer monitors to be far better than other
types, but I have never tried an LG IPS based TV as a computer screen.
It might actually work well.

--
Len Sorensen