[GTALUG] Recommendations for useful laptop suitable for Ubuntu

nick xerofoify at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 14:26:47 EDT 2019

On 2019-07-15 1:57 p.m., D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> | From: Alex Beamish via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 10:09 AM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <
> | talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>
> | It worked fine at the June meeting of the Perlmongers, sharing a Google
> | Hangouts session. The next day, it wouldn't boot -- couldn't even get it to
> | POST.
>
> Usually it is something simple.  Like a connector that has some
> oxidation.  But it is a lot of work to disassemble laptops with no
> promise of success.
>
> HP "business class" notebooks tried to compete on quality and features
> with ThinkPads.  My impression was that they were quite good.
>
> HP consumer notebooks are quite a mixed bag.  Many were built as
> cheaply as possible.
>
> | > Exactly which qualities of a notebook matter to you?  (You may not
> | > actually know without living with one for a while.)
> | >

> | Good question.
> | [] Decent speed -- I did some Audacity editing on my laptop when my
> | workstation died, and my goodness was that slow.
>
> Most 5 year old notebooks had HDDs.  Now only SSDs make sense and they
> are a lot faster.  Was disk I/O the factor slowing your old machine
> down with audacity?
>
> Processors haven't gotten much faster.  They do have more cores.  I
> don't know if audacity exploits multiple cores.

Multiple cores over 4-6 are not required for most workloads unless audacity is
rendering multiple audio streams, normally audio is encoded per code not split.
In addition unless you are compiling large projects or rendering pretty complex
video or images in blender having more that number of cores is not needed.

If you talking instruction speed per core it's about 10-12% on the Intel side
since Sandy Bridge so if we were talking Haswell to current, that's three
generations or 30 to 36%. AMD is close or just as fast now with Ryzen 3 which
is good for gaming and other single threaded or single instruction expensive
workloads, I was a little surprised that browsers are the key users here and
not current encoding codecs.

Hope that helps,

Nick