[GTALUG] Recommendations for useful laptop suitable for Ubuntu

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jul 15 12:41:17 EDT 2019

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 10:56:41AM -0400, Don Tai via talk wrote:
> If you wish for a reliable laptop, then I also recommend a Lenovo Thinkpad,
> which I have been running Ubuntu for a long time.
>
> That said, this does not extend to all Lenovos. Their consumer line is not
> as robust. A consumer Lenovo came to me recently, the screen was so flimsy
> and unsupported, no wonder the screen broke. Not all Lenovos are created
> equally.

Yeah we bought an ideapad once.  Never doing that again.

What my wife's T430 has gone through is nuts while still working.

Yesterday the (almost) 2 year old was standing on it (it was closed).
Still working, although it appears the chasis may be slightly bent now.
I believe he is about 35 pounds.  Poor thinkpad.

Not to mention how many times it has been pushed onto the floor from
the coffee table, yanked by the power cord, had things stacked on it, etc.

--
Len Sorensen