[GTALUG] Recommendations for useful laptop suitable for Ubuntu

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jul 15 12:35:31 EDT 2019

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 11:08:35AM -0400, James Knott via talk wrote:
> They also come with a "TrackPoint".  I will not buy a notebook computer
> without one, as I hate those touch pads.  My E520 came with both, but
> I've disabled the TrackPad.

I discovered a few years ago that Dell's copy of the trackpoint was
unusable.  Way too unstable to operate.  I use it as the main pointing
device on my thinkpad though.  I do keep the trackpad enabled for two
finger scrolling though.  Of course the touchpad on the Dell was unusuable
too as was the keyboard.  It was sad to see people showing up to a
meeting with an external keyboard and mouse just to be able to work.

Of course [TW]x40 thinkpads are to be avoided since they don't have
buttons for the trackpoint but rely on using the trackpad for that.
Totally stupid and the design was reversed on the [TW]x50 and higher
models (and the W541 too).

--
Len Sorensen