[GTALUG] Recommendations for useful laptop suitable for Ubuntu

Mike Kallies mike at kallies.ca
Mon Jul 15 12:14:30 EDT 2019

On 2019-07-15 8:38 a.m., James Knott via talk wrote:
> On 2019-07-14 11:18 PM, Alex Beamish via talk wrote:
>> Refurbished is OK, and pre-loaded with Linux is also fine. Budget is
>> perhaps $600-$800.
>>

> Lenovo ThinkPads tend to be good.  I have an E520.

For Thinkpads, even the Thinkpad line varies in quality, the T and X
series being the go-to business models.

Check the mil spec testing on

https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/i_pdf/ThinkPad.pdf

This should cover a little bit of sand getting in your bag, leaving your
machine in your trunk overnight in the winter or on your car seat
durning the day in the summer, putting it in a motorcycle panier, etc...

Not all Thinkpads get the rating, and it makes me wonder, since the
rating seems a pretty low bar, if the models without it, simply didn't pass?

(I have horrible luck picking laptops for Linux compatibility, so I'm no
real help beyond this.  My next hunt, I'm going to ask a kernel
developer what they use, or what Linux companies are giving employees, I
don't have time to troubleshoot stuff anymore.)

-Mike