[GTALUG] pre-talk survey

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 06:31:43 EDT 2019

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019, 5:04 PM Greg Martyn via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Leading, (“too dangerous”, outraged, etc) loaded, (censored?, yes/no
> question with no explanation of the level of suppression or extent)
> and double-barreled (regulated vs censored) questions. I don't think I'd
> put too much stock in the answers we give.

Statistics are the ventriloquists dummy. This was probably the first trope
I ever heard which warned me about "deepfake" content. Never heard the
deepfake term before but the concept is ageless. Control of the data is the
key to the desired effect, not necessarily the data in its own right.

I think that every minting of a new term for old issues, even justifiably
due to changing technology or social construct, is representative of the
fabric of the times. If history is the propaganda of the victors then so
too should such deepfake content ultimately lead to the necessity of a
deeptruth algorithm.

Cause and effect are what sciences study by gathering and comparing data.
Effect of a cause is what data manipulation does as a business or
governance tool in industry and elsewhere.

Sometimes the purpose of a survey is to disseminate information, as well as
collect it. Marketers do this all the time, the benefits are twofold. One
survey, 30 years ago, got me twenty bucks and a six pack of Brick Lager.
The researchers got their info and the sixpack wasn't just for me to
guzzle. This was a MLM tool because they wanted me to share the beer. They
didn't tell me to, they just knew it was likely that I would and thus help
them to build their brand.

There are two sides to a coin. On one side the coin says, we don't release
this software because it may be used to cause harms. The other side says,
this is our bread and butter so go figure it out for yourself.

Dell reverse engineered IBM's bios and became a juggernaut. I'm pretty sure
that it would be easier to write the deeptruth algorithm if everybody had
access to the deep fake toolset so I filled out the survey accordingly.