[GTALUG] Making a UEFI capable debian USB net-install

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jul 9 12:06:28 EDT 2019

On Mon, Jul 08, 2019 at 06:38:35PM -0400, Michael Galea via talk wrote:
> Thanks, I tried a plain dd first, but the Lenevo bios refused to recognize
> it as UEFI capable. Oh well..

I know some systems you have to select the correct boot entry to boot
in UEFI mode.  So the same USB device can appear twice, once in legacy
bios mode (sometimes labeled CSM) and once in UEFI mode.

Of course the USB device will be missing the second copy of the GPT which
could cause a problem if someone didn't implement the BIOS to the spec.
GPT should have a backup copy of the partition table at the end of the
device, but you should never require it to be present to work.  I haven't
ever encountered a system that had a problem with this though.  I also
believe the location of the backup is in the GPT header, so the dd'd
image should actually have the backup in the right location as per the
header, but sometimes software developers think they are smarter than
the spec and make incorrect assumptions.

I have not tried the new installer for buster yet though, but I highly
doubt it doesn't work since it has had a lot of testing by a lot of
people.

> As an aside, I noticed last night that Buster now supports secure boot, so I
> am off to try that on the T480.

I don't think I can be bothered to try secureboot.

--
Len Sorensen