[GTALUG] Pine Book Pro

Alex Volkov alex at flamy.ca
Wed Jan 30 12:22:20 EST 2019

Hey Everyone,

It looks like Pine64 are releasing Pinebook Pro, a laptop that I'm
actually willing to pay money for and then use.

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=7093&pid=43850#pid43850

Specs:

  * 14" 1080p IPS LCD panel
  * 64/128GB of eMMC storage*
  * Black magnesium alloy body
  * SD card slot
  * Digital video output via USB-C up to 4K60hz
  * Audio aux out / UART
  * USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports
  * 802.11ac WiFi
  * Bluetooth 4.2
  * 4GB of LPDDR4 RAM
  * Charging via barrel port or USB-C
  * Rockchip RK3399 ; big.LITTLE Hexacore A72/A53 SOC
  * 2mpx front-facing camera
  * Microphone
  * Speakers
  * Slim and slick design with minimal branding
  * PCIe x4 that can take a m.2 NVMe SSD using an optional adapter
  * Target Price:  $199

Looking on the picture the things I like:

* Regular keyboard with thick keys and minimal amount of weirdness (the
location of 'Delete' button is questionable, but I'll live with that.

* 1080p IPS scree should be pretty nice

* NVM.e slot

At least I can definitely replace my acer chrome book 11, which works
when I need a very light computer in a pinch to dump video from my
camera or browse the web, but not much else.

I'm hoping that the product would be successful enough that there's
going to be a release of a version with 8GB of RAM -- that would put it
on par with ultrabooks.

Thought I don't think Pinebook Pro ever going to meet its $200 US target
price.

Thoughts?

Alex.