[GTALUG] Sendmail Changes

ac ac at main.me
Tue Jan 29 23:42:12 EST 2019

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 21:06:02 -0500
Chris Tyler via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> I have a very old sendmail configuration on a VM on a dying server. I
> need to move it to a stable hw platform, so I took the sendmail setup
> and migrated it to a new system with a current Sendmail installation.
> The previous Sendmail configuration worked fine and was trusted by
> remote senders. It did not have SPF, DKIM, or DMARC set up. The new
> Sendmail server worked fine (worked as expected), but was not trusted
> by some remote MTAs sending TO it - including those used by
> Google/gmail. This seems odd because the only real difference between
> the two configurations is the Sendmail version -- something seems to
> have changed in the software. I reverted to the original system after
> these experiments last summer, but haven't circled back to it until
> now, when the failure of the underlying hw is forcing my hand.
> I haven't been following the evolution of Sendmail. I need to set up a
> better long-term solution (possibly with another MTA, and definitely
> with SPF+DKIM+DMARC), but in the short term I urgently need to
> migrate this configuration over to a box that isn't failing. Is
> anyone aware of Sendmail changes (either in behavior or defaults)
> that would explain how remote servers regard the MX?
> Thanks--
> -Chris Tyler

imho, your issues are related to your config file, rather than all the
changes in the software. Also, your DNS configuration and ipv4
reputation is a major factor today. Your ipv4 should be 'clean'

http://multirbl.valli.org/

and your ipv4 should have forward/reverse

and your sending domain should have SPF, etc etc.

I am also running a very old version of sendmail, which I recently
updated, In my case, I had to redo the config file completely and change
many of my scripts

I also have some Postfix and a few Exim, I like all of them and they
have become like spanners to me... one is a 9, the other a 12 and you
simply cannot exist without a 13  :)

At the end of the day: Always remember to have fun!

Andre