[GTALUG] google news alternatives?

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Jan 24 12:47:38 EST 2019

Hi all.

I consume a lot of news and podcasts on both mobile and desktops.

I have found Feedly to be a great resource at aggregation of RSS feeds and
other sources. Its Android app is good if not spectacular and my podcast
player can import directly from it.

There is a free account that will be enough for many, but I upgraded to the
paid one. Be patient and eventually you will encounter a sale or promo that
lowers the cost, but even at full price I find it good value. (These days I
am, when I can, choosing to pay for my apps and services rather than depend
on data-mining to give me free stuff, but that's a different story)

If your news needs are limited you could get by on the CBC, BBC or CNN
apps, but they don't offer enough for me. Google News has been replaced by
a news component of its omnibus Google Now service on Android, but I like
neither its news selections nor its privacy concerns. One nice apps with a
daily summary of the world's significant events is Espresso by The
Economist.

- Evan

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 at 16:35, Karen Lewellen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> Hi folks,
> Late new year wishes all around.
> I ask the question because I believe? someone posted a list of service
> alternatives a while back.
> Up until  late December I was using theoldgnews.com
> Apparently google discovered the service though.
> Anyone know of a comparative alternative?
> Cheers,
> Kare

Evan Leibovitch, Toronto Canada
@evanleibovitch or @el56