[GTALUG] Looking for Someone to Answer some Question

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Thu Jan 17 07:45:32 EST 2019

----- Original Message -----
From: "xerofoify via talk" <talk at gtalug.org>
To: "Tim Tisdall via talk" <talk at gtalug.org>
Cc: "xerofoify" <xerofoify at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 11:57 AM
Subject: Re: [GTALUG] Looking for Someone to Answer some Question

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 10:53 PM William Park via talk
> <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 07:49:15PM -0500, Kevin Cozens via talk
>> wrote:

<snip>

>> Main feature I need is ability to save "state" of some data
>> structure,
>> say variables, array, or dictionary, without having to parse/reparse
>> when writing/reading from filesystem.  Python can do that.  I can do
>> that in C too.  My last choice would be SQLite, though, it has its
>> advantages.
>> --
>> William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca>
>> ---
>
> This is my reply to both Tim first.
>
> Tim: My Recommendations would be to see if you can find an embedded
> version of SQLite or another
> library that meets your requirement.

<snip>

BerkelyDB might be another option for storing an enbedded application's
non-volatile data.

BerkelyDB is now owned by Oracle, but I believe there is an open-source
version available) BerkelyDB could be more performant than SQLite and
also could have a smaller footprint. In complexity, BerkelyDB would fit
between SQLite and parsing the embedded app's non-volatile date out of a
file(s) in the barebones filesystem.

I myself an considering migrating a PostgreSQL database (used by a
PHP-based website app) to (an open source version of) BerkelyDB, because
of the BerkelyDB claim that it requires "zero administration". If true,
this "zero administration" feature sounds to me like a great fit for an
embedded app..

Steve