[GTALUG] Looking for Someone to Answer some Questions

nick xerofoify at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 20:40:24 EST 2019

On 2019-01-13 7:55 p.m., Alvin Starr wrote:

>>> What school?
>> I'm at Seneca but I also asked UoT students and for whatever
>> reason most students are going into web so that's the assumption
>> or mobile. Which is fun considering that's been pushed into the
>> Co-op program. I'm not complaining it's also pretty easy to tell
>> from the electives as well i.e. there is only one Linux System
>> Programming course. Even if I look at Waterloo there are courses
>> in this but off the top of my head, only a handful at least at
>> the undergraduate level.
>
> If your interested in compiler design go and grab a copy of Aho and Ullman's book Principles of complier Design (ISBN 0-201-00022-9)
>
> Another one is the Turing Programming Language.(ISBN 0-13-933136-0)
>
> You could also try tracking down ACM POPL articles.
>
> A bazillion years ago I worked on compiler and language implementation for a Markham computer company.
>
> Finding people building production compilers will be hard.

You forget to CC this list. Anyhow here our my other comments.
It's not hard online but finding them in person is difficult. Thanks for the book
recommendation through, seems it may be good to read the theory too. The GCC
folks already gave me a list of Todos to get started. Frankly I've been busy
with other work mostly with the X.org Foundation.

>>> Compiler design: not a big field.  Most compilers that take a team are
>>> already designed.
>>>
>>> There is a group at the IBM Toronto lab that works on their compilers.
>>> I've known a few of them, but my main connections have retired.
>>>
>>> An interesting snapshot of this area is the annual CASCON held in
>>> October (free!  with lunches!).
>>>
>> That's useful thanks for the heads up. I will probably try and go,
>> have family in Markham. As for compilers I was talking gcc/clang
>> work not older tech i.e. optimizations or other things related.
>
> GCC is something like 20+ years old and although is it still a very good language stack.
>
> LLVM and Clang are newer but I have kind of fallen out of tracking the various compilers .

>>> Lots of folks do that.  I don't know how to find them (I haven't
>>> looked).  They are often more embedded in the application area than
>>> the computer field.  (It often shows in the quality of their code.)
>>>
>>> I could imagine that networking through your school would help.
>> See the above reasons. I tried too, but seems I'm on my own,
>
> I was under the impression the Seneca had a strong Open Source community.
>
> https://wiki.cdot.senecacollege.ca/wiki/Main_Page.

I did try going through CDOT but it's more web development and very little low level.
The lowest level I'm aware of is porting packages to the ARM64 architecture but that's
it.

> If your interested in embedded systems then some hardware courses would go a long way to getting you somewhere because with embedded systems your almost always working directly with hardware.

I'm aware of the issues from a theoretical perspective just not actually running in on a embedded board.I have some
Intel Board lying around and should figure out how to port a Linux distribution to it with a application stack
using Yocto but again I'm frankly swamped with GCC and other things.

Thanks and thanks for a notice about the IBM compiler lab from Hugh,
Nick