[GTALUG] laptop repair in GTA/Markham?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Jan 9 22:40:08 EST 2019

| From: Tim Tisdall via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

|   I was hoping to at least get my data
| off, but the SSD uses a M.2 interface which requires buying some sort of
| adapter.

m.2 sockets really common now.

Older ones are m.2 SATA.  Your notebook is old enough that I'm 90%
sure it would be m.2 SATA.

Newer computers have m.2 NVMe sockets.  Those will accept m.2 SATA
devices anyway.

There's a third class that I don't understand: M.2 AHCI.

Many modern desktop motherboards have m.2 slots.  Starting, I think, with
the Intel 7th gen (7xxx) or perhaps 8th gen (8xxx).  It's not that they
couldn't do it sooner but it got compelling when NVMe became available: a
lot faster than SATA.  Just for fun, here's the cheapest one I've found on
newegg.ca (not a recommendation):
<https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144164>

Inconveniently for you, most notebooks with m.2 sockets don't have
another disk interface.  And they are awkward to open.

Adapter cards for a desktop are about $25 and up:
<https://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=m.2+to+pcie+adapter&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1>

Recommendation: remove the drive from your computer.  You don't want
any of your experiments to damage your data.