[GTALUG] laptop repair in GTA/Markham?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jan 9 15:22:06 EST 2019

On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 01:44:38PM -0500, Tim Tisdall via talk wrote:
> It won't even start.  The power button is a regular key on the
> keyboard and has a back light to indicate that it's on.  I press it
> and nothing at all happens.  I tried unplugging the battery and
> powering it like in the video, but nothing happens.  I think the
> device doesn't actually power on without a battery and alternates
> between the power light and the wifi light like in the video when the
> battery is disconnected.  I don't even get that.
>
> The only thing I do get is the light on the side to indicate that the
> battery is being charged when the power is plugged in.  If the battery
> is disconnected then the light is orange instead of white.

> getting near the ribbon connector for the keyboard.  I think liquid
> may have gotten inside the keyboard and it's preventing it from
> detecting the power button key press.  Unfortunately, it seems like
> the keyboard is actually fused together with the case and it's not
> possible to open.  I wish I knew which pins to connect on the keyboard
> connector to simulate pressing the power button to test that theory.

Well replacement keyboards do exist if that is the problem:

https://laptopparts.ca/products/asus-zenbook-ux305-ux305ca-ux305fa-ux305ua-us-english-keyboard-13nb06x1am0201

I wonder if someone like http://nptechnologies.ca/ would do reasonable
repairs or at least be able to say what the problem is.

I found this list too some of which sound potentially useful:

https://www.blogto.com/tech/2016/09/the_top_10_computer_repair_shops_in_toronto/

--
Len Sorensen