[GTALUG] another bargain netbook

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Tue Jan 1 11:52:30 EST 2019

On 01/01/2019 11:37 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> Those who think that being able to type other languages is important,
> should support this keyboard.  I guess that "Knott" indicates scots
> ancestors

I have seen my last name in both Irish and Scottish name books, but not
English.  However, as far as I know, my ancestors came from England.  I
like Guinness, but not Scotch.  ;-)

> The bilingual keyboard is apparently an instantiation of an ISO
> standard where the US keyboard is an ANSI standard.
> <https://deskthority.net/wiki/ANSI_vs_ISO>
> By default, I'd like to conform to ISO vs ANSI since I'm not a US
> Citizen (even so, I once was a member of an ANSI committee).

I have a U.S. keyboard, configured to use U.S. International layout,
which provides some more characters, but with the U.S. layout.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key#US-International

Incidentally, back in the late '90s, I worked at IBM in Markham.  Part
of my work was testing the new systems on OS/2, Windows 95 & NT, with
both English and French keyboards.  There were many occasions when I'd
be working with the wrong language keyboard.