[GTALUG] another bargain netbook

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Jan 1 00:48:13 EST 2019

Canada Computer is blowing out a netbook.  It is currently (until January
3) only $200.  After that it might go back to $300 or $250 (the previous
selling price).

<https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_367&item_id=117289>
<http://forums.redflagdeals.com/canada-computers-canada-computers-200-13-3-ips-fhd-1920x1080-fanless-n3450-4gb-ram-32gb-ssd-m-2-12-9mm-metal-chassis-poormans-xps-13-2247404/>

Points to consider

o 13.3"

o Celeron N3450 processor (Atom / Apollo Lake family).  Low power in two
  senses: battery consumption and computing power.

+ no fan

+ 1920x1080 IPS matte display.  A bit dim but OK.

+ very solid-feeling aluminum body.  Thin.

+ I like the keyboard.  US, not the Bilingual Canadian layout.

+ 4G of RAM.  Not wonderful, but enough for most casual use

- 32G eMMC "disk".  This is too small for Windows and not generous for
  Linux.  Trying to fit both would be difficult.

+ an unoccupied full-sized m2.SATA socket.  Behind an access panel.

- likely no support

- firmware is a little slap-dash (why must CSM be enabled to boot from
  something other than the eMMC?)

- the touchpad seems OK but not great.  Someone thinks there will be
  improvements in touchpad handling with the just-released kernel, 4.20.

- There is a fingerprint reader in the corner of the touchpad.  I don't
  use fingerprint readers so I consider this a lose.

I've got one.  I installed a 128G m.2 SATA SSD and installed Fedora 29 on
it.  It seems to work well.  There were a few adventures in installing it.

A 512G m.2 SATA could be had for $88 this week.  Prices for SSD seem to be
trending down.