[GTALUG] optimum swap size

Jason Shaw grazer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 10:12:30 EST 2019

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 7:02 AM Gary via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> I have kubuntu 18.04 with 20 gigs ram. Does anyone know what the optimum
> size swap area that I should have? Currently, my swap partition is 2
> gigs. Can I increase that by creating a swap file in addition to the
> swap partition?
>
> /gary
>
> Is swap size still as relevant as it was a decade ago? On a host with 20G
RAM, I'd imagine the likelihood of hitting swap being much lower.  Having a
couple of G available just in case seems like a good idea, but I'm unsure
if the old (Total RAM * 2)=swap equation still rings true.

*does some quick internet sleuthing*

According to this article:
https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-swap-space.html RedHat basically says
that for CentOS server 7, a minimum of 4G is recommended.  The caveat to
this is that if your system needs to hibernate/suspend-to-disk, in which
case you'll want 1.5-2x RAM as swap in order to write in-use memory to disk.

-jason