[GTALUG] Co-op Issues

Gary technologynut at rogers.com
Sat Feb 23 08:45:35 EST 2019

Here's an interesting article from the U.S. census bureau, which likely
applies to Canada as well:

"The U.S. Census Bureau reported today that 74 percent of those who have
a bachelor's degree in science, technology, engineering and math —
commonly referred to as STEM — are not employed in STEM occupations."

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2014/cb14-130.html

This is not surprising because according to payscale.com the average
Indian programmer makes just $8,300 cdn for the entire year.  IBM now
has more employees in India than it does in America.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/28/technology/ibm-india.html

Industry is making a concerted effort to perpetuate the skills shortage
myth so that they can beguile politicians and persuade them to open the
floodgates of immigration. This has the effect of saturating the market
and lowering wages.

And they have succeeded:
https://www.payscale.com/research/CA/Job=Computer_Programmer/Salary/5f88d602/Toronto-ON
Note that a letter carrier makes more money.

/gary