[GTALUG] Spamhaus block

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Feb 22 20:20:41 EST 2019

| From: Val Kulkov via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| Do you have a permanent static IP address? If not, you may occasionally be
| picking up a "dirty" IP address.

It's clear (now) that Marc has a static IP address.

It really isn't worth trying to use a dynamic IP address for mail.
But I did it.

I used to use a Rogers connection for a secondary email server.  I
could use the domain name they gave me, and the reverse domain would
agree (but was out of my control).  The IP address would change at the
rate of roughly once a year.  That would cause a bit of disruption
because the transition was carelessly managed by Rogers.

I still use Rogers for bulk IP traffic but maybe not for long: they
are kind of doubling the cost for my "bundle" and I find that
annoying.

| From: Don Tai via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| You're on a shared host with any number of other web sites and owners. When
| one goes rogue and launches bots at the world the IP is logged and is used
| to ban all the sites on that IP, which might include your own. Bots
| reappear on a regular basis, using the same IP, so bans, in general, are
| for life.

It's clear (now) that Marc has a dedicated IP address.

It depends on what you mean by "shared host".  Normally that means
several web sites sharing one IP address.  I don't think that you can
do that with SMTP.

You could mean several people sharing one box, but with each having
their own IP address.  That should work for email.

I, for example, rent a couple of OpenVZ instances in the cloud, each
with their own IP address.  Each physical box is shared by untold
numbers of OpenVZ instances.  I'm allowed to set the reverse domain
records for them.  (Control of one's own forward domain is not a
problem.)  They each cost less than $20 per year.  I don't run mail
servers on them but I'm sure that I could.  They both run CentOS 7.