[GTALUG] Power over Ethernet question

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Fri Feb 22 08:52:55 EST 2019

On 02/22/2019 07:18 AM, Russell Reiter via talk wrote:
> The Ontario Electrical Safety Authority has recently ratified Power
> over Ethernet for domestic residential LED lighting and associated
> home control systems. I was just wondering if anybody on the list is
> using PoE for lighting and has any recommendations on which types of
> LED's are best for general use. I have a 45w grow light for an African
> violet but the light it casts gives a kind of institutional feeling.
> I'm not sure I'd want it everywhere.
>
> I live in apartment with older ceiling fixtures and currently screw-in
> compact fluorescent bulbs last a year or so before the transformer
> dies from voltage spikes. Ostensibly this is from being on the same
> sub-panel as switched loads, fans, ac and the fridge being the main
> culprits.
>
> Any suggestions and anecdotes are appreciated.

PoE seems to be an expensive way to do this, as you'd need at least an
injector and power supply.  Have you tried screw in LED lights?  Before
Doug Ford became Premier, there'd be occasional rebates on them, where
you could buy the lights for about 50¢.  IIRC, he's killed that program,
to "save" taxpayer's money.

Also, are you sure it's a tranformer that fails?  AFIK, there's no
transformer in them, only some electronic circuit.  There's not even the
inductive ballast that's common with fluorescent tubes.